Pages

Followers

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shopping in The USA

Being in SA a wee bit longer has made my shopping list a whole lot longer. You see, everyone who knows me and some acquintences and their pets, suddenly want the strangest array of gifts from the USA.

I've been asked to buy electronic equipment, fish, beer mugs, clothing and even jewellery!

I can see that lot getting past customs.

Customs officer: "Ma'am , do you have anything to declare?"

Me:" Err, declare???  Is that English . We don't eat that in  South Africa! Sorry Sir, maybe next time."

Its all quite strange to me because we get everything in SA. The electronics may be delayed a bit , but we'll get it soon enough. Our networks arent even fast enough to appreciate most of the latest gizmos so whats the point?

Fish...okay so Salmon is more readily available in USA but its a rare fish so I skeem that we let the Americans have the extinction of Salmon on their conscience.

Beer mugs...hahaha, I dont even consume alcohol. So the old customs officer wil be rather confused when he sees that. Nah , cant carry a beer mug. I wonder if a beer mug from a different country will make a diference to the taste of the drink. Seriously , will a German mug make the beer taste like its from Germany? #just wondering

Clothing requests have come in the form of name brands. Obviously from people who dont know me at all because anyone who know me will know that my fashion sense doesnt follow a particular trend or brand or anything particular. It all depends on my mood and hence I can look like a hobo in a track suit (and safety boots) or majorly confused in a power outfit ( and Bova's- ugliest safety boots known). So y'all hu wants some "nice" clothes. Y'all will get what ever tickles my fancy ...if i remember you

And then the Jewellery. Cummon, have i EVER worn jewellery other than my watch??? And dont we produce gold in SA? Why should i buy items made from SA gold in a foreign land. Do you want the gold to return to its home. Ag shame julle, I'll make a purchase or 2 if I feel like it maar honestly, are material things that important ?

This of course doesnt mean that I will forget all of the people that I value; I plan to do some shopping. It may not be as per request but I aint a pro shopper and at least i know that for those who are on my list it will be well received as small as it may get.#ifIevergetthere



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh please just don't forget your fellow Mukhethwa, I wouldn't mind recieving a gift that is not of South African raw materials. By the sounds of things it looks like you have settled in very well. just don't trust nay restaurant out there. Guess what, i miss the food at Roode Vallei already.

Naeema said...

Guess what Mr Nekhumbe, I havent settled in as yet because Im still in limbo.

Im still in SA waiting for the green light from consol officers at the American Embassy.

Such Sir , is the nature of the beast. In the mean time though, I have caught a cold which i am being kind enough not to share.


I would dearly like to bring back some snow. This is however the most retarded whim of mine and so when I do go shopping, it will be less exciting than anticipated.

wishing you the best in your search for good food in Germies.

regards
N

Anonymous said...

oh i thought you were already there. how far is Limbo from myself? i can drop by, maybe.