Pages

Followers

Friday, February 08, 2013

Ah , the long awaited four years

Its 4 years and working in the real world has hurled me out of the comfort zone of a student into a tumultuous world of ever changing plans and fights for bottom-line expansion.

i have waited for this day for many a reason. when I started in this company, the idea was to enjoy the work and do what i had studied to do; design. BUT a few binding agreements held me to the company with no way to escape. my four years have escaped me with a sigh and much to talk about.

four years have seen to my exceptional professional development, one that i could never have sought after but tough times with tough lessons and stories to write home about.

four years ago my idea of work was fairly idyllic. Go to work, design something, implement it, see positive results, get paid at the end of the month , love the job , etc etc.

So, i discovered that its not really like that. Work is made up of people. the biggest reason why work doesn't get done is people and the most productive operations are done by people.

in my fairly contradictory statement, it turns out that I can quite easily find reason not do anything and get away with it because , well, "everyone Else's" productivity is akin to zero. Also, my ego plays a role in how much i get done .i wont explore this one...it is just true. My drive is what sets me apart.

strangely as i have reached this great age of 4, i remember my naivety and am grateful for where i am : on a growing path , understanding the aerial view of business minds and hopeless souls.

not exactly the promise of engineering, but hey, I'm still an engineer of sorts and I'm still doing what i love.

no complaints from the journey thus far, just a big happy birthday to me.

 

No comments: