Pages

Followers

Sunday, September 02, 2012

City girl engineer

I am a city girl
My heart beats to the jostling of people through busy streets, the bargaining of traders at the corner shop , the hooting of taxis @ Noord, the chugging of trains at the break of dawn. 

Its the drone of traffic without which I cannot be lulled to sleep, the sirens sounded by earnest burglars without which I wouldn't be awakened to sweet smelling mornings. 

I am an engineer. I dig deep into my soul to devise machines ...
That turn and churn and keep a pace
Persistent 
Consistent 
Like the endless energy of the N1 Highway
Like the tireless approach of the stop-street beggar.
Like the perfection of the smog settling dust on the Ponty tower.

I am a city girl 
Ticking, clicking, texting, chiming to the abuse of the city
Dulled eyes for the innocence of "die platteland"
I'm poised and perched and vehemently pressing buttons

I am an engineer
Designing shafts to lower people to jobs
Mining my soul
Innovating a skyscraper to avenge the hollowed heart
Creating a mirage of dead-end possibilities
Replacing gold with thirst and hunger and need 

For more and more and more of this pulsing antithesis;
Knowledge-Power
Wealth-Debt
Employment-Labour
Freedom-Danger
Services-Poor delivery
Gated homes-Excessive crime
Fauna -Concrete

It is by these excitements and challenges that I humbly genuflect to my city - as an engineer and city girl.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: